Event Postponed until Further Notice
Come meet authors of Edges of the Rainbow, Michel Delsol and Journalist Haruku Shinozaki!
*On the week of 9/15/2017, we incorrectly stated that the Japanese pop idol Ai Haruna would be coming to our New York store. This is not the case. However, the authors Michel Delsol and Haruku Shinozaki will be presenting the event. We deeply apologize for the confusion.
“The exquisite humanity in this book transcends all geographical and cultural difference to show us what is universal in ourselves, and germane to place. A triumph of insight and heart.”—Hilton Als, staff writer for the New Yorker
“The vibrant individuality, diversity, and universality of the LGBTQ lives we encounter in Edges of the Rainbow shatter all the formulaic canards about conformity and homogeneity that tend to be so fashionable in mainstream Western portraits of Japan.”—John Dower, author of Embracing Defeat
People Featured in the Book
Ai Haruna （はるな 愛）
Haruna is a civil rights activist and pop idol. She started her career as a drag queen in small clubs and cabarets in Tokyo, then as a singer and talk-show guest on television and radio, before becoming one of the hosts of the prime-time show about fighting prejudice, Barrier Free, on Japan’s national public broadcasting network, NHK.
Ai Haruna is a trans woman —also known in Japanese as a “newhalf.” Her chosen name, Ai, means love in Japanese. A rare positive role model in contemporary Japanese queer culture, she works to help people challenge sexual and gender norms and to bring comfort to many who feel isolated from the society around them.
Keiki is a tarot card reader and community activist. Keiki is a trans man.
Tatsuki and Eishin
Tatsuki is a publisher of hand made notebooks and diaries and Eishin, his wife, is a healer. Tatsuki is intersex.
About the Authors
Michel Delsol was born in Paris and works in New York City. He has received the Judges Award from the Society of Publication Designers, as well as awards from Px3, Prix de la Photographie Paris, and the International Black & White Spider Awards
Born in Japan and raised in Tokyo, Haruku Shinozaki is a journalist who lives in New York. She is co-author, with Michel Delsol, of Edges of the Rainbow (The New Press)
- The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2017/aug/11/lgbtq-japan-edges-of-the-rainbow-michel-delsol-in-pictures
- The Eye of photography: http://loeildelaphotographie.com/en/2017/06/14/article/159955847/edges-of-the-rainbow-lgbtq-communities-in-modern-japan/
- Vice: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/xyewy3/photos-of-lgbtq-life-in-japan
- Hyperallergic: https://hyperallergic.com/387992/edges-of-the-rainbow-japan-lgbtq/
- Huck: http://www.huckmagazine.com/art-and-culture/photography-2/edges-rainbow-lgbt-japan/
- AnOther : http://www.anothermag.com/art-photography/9943/the-photo-book-giving-a-voice-to-japans-lgbtq-community
- Mowwgli: http://mowwgli.com/17265/2017/06/07/edges-of-the-rainbow-michel-delsol-et-haruku-shinozaki-explorent-les-lgbtq-au-japon/
- Buzzfeed: https://www.buzzfeed.com/gabrielsanchez/incredible-photo-stories-you-absolutely-cant-miss-july-7?utm_term=.sdVZMoa2d#.nuPr8ZPW5